This paper lists phone numbers you can call to report crimes and other incidents, and get assistance in dealing with various personal and family problems.  More information about these numbers is available in the SDPD’s Community Responsibilities Guide, which can be viewed in the Crime Prevention and Education section under Community Resources and Responsibilities on the SDPD’s website at


·    Emergencies.  Call 911.  These are crimes that are in progress or about to happen, and ones that have resulted in serious personal injury, property damage, or property loss.  They also include situations in which the suspect may still be at the scene and some suspicious activities.  If there is any doubt as to whether the situation is an emergency it is always better to be on the safe side and call 911.
·    Non-emergencies.  Call the SDPD at (619) 531-2000.  Crimes and suspicious activities that fall into this category are: (1) those that don’t involve serious personal injury, property damage, or property loss; (2) ones in which there is no possibility that the suspect is still at the scene or is likely to return to the scene; and (3) ones for which an immediate response is not needed.
·    Payphone abuses. Call the SDPD Neighborhood Policing Resource Team (619) 446-1017 public pay phones that are being used by persons loitering or involved in prostitution, drug dealing, graffiti, and other nuisances.
·    Gang activities.  Call the SDPD Gang Detail at (619) 531-2847 to report threats by known gang members, gang activities, and gang-related graffiti.  Or call its 24-hour gang hotline, (619) 531-2532, to provide information on incidents of gang violence.
·    Recurring traffic violations.  Call the SDPD Traffic Division at (858) 495-7800 regarding violations at specific locations, e.g., speeding, running red lights and stop signs, etc.
·    Abandoned, wrecked, dismantled, or inoperative vehicles or vehicle parts.  Call the SDPD Vehicle Abatement Office at (858) 495-7856 if they are on private property.  Call the SDPD at (619) 531-2000 if they are on city streets or public property.
·    Prostitution, pornography, gambling, and violations of laws regulating police-licensed businesses.  Call the SDPD Vice unit at (619) 531-2452.  To complain about stores, bars, and restaurants that hold an Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) license and sell alcoholic beverages regarding sales to minors, and vandalism, noise, loitering, litter, urination, rowdy behavior, etc. outside the establishments call its ABC Hotline (619) 515-2777.
·    Highway non-emergencies. Call the California Highway Patrol at (858) 637-3800.  Call 911 for emergencies.
·    Non-emergencies in the County but outside the City.  Call the San Diego County Sheriff at (858) 565-5200.
·    Activities of illegal or suspected undocumented persons.  Call the U.S. Border Patrol at (619) 662-7321.
·    Threats to the President and other government officials, counterfeit money, forgery, and other financial crimes.  Call the U.S. Secret Service at (619) 557-5640.
·    Mail theft, tampering, fraud, and other mail-related crimes.  Call the U.S. Postal Inspector at (626) 405-1200.  Call 911 if you suspect a piece of mail is contaminated or contains an explosive.  Do not handle it.
·    Dumping of fuel or other hazardous substances in city storm drains. Storm Water Hotline (619) 235-1000.

If you don’t want to “get involved” you can provided information about crimes to Crime Stoppers, a non-profit organization that works in partnership with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies to help solve serious crimes.  If you think you have info concerning a serious crime or felony suspect, call toll free (888) 580-8477.  All calls remain confidential.  If your information leads to an arrest you could earn a reward of up to $1,000.


·       Graffiti.  Call the City’s Graffiti Control Hotline at (619) 525-852.  Victims can obtain free recycled paint and supplies to remove graffiti by calling the City Paint Bank Operations at (619) 527-5419.
·       Litter on private or public property.  Call the City Environmental Services Department at (858) 694-7000.  Call Park and Recreation at (619) 685-1350 regarding litter on property in a Landscape Maintenance Assessment district.
·       Animals.  Call the County Department of Animal Control 24-hour emergency number, (619) 236-2341, to report incidents involving animals that threaten public health and safety.  Call the City Environmental Services Department at (858) 694-7000 for the removal of dead animals in public right-of-ways.  The following numbers can be used for other animal control services: (619) 236-4250 for spaying or neutering, lost and found, operator assistance, etc.; (619) 236-4250 for licensing and rabies vaccinations; (619) 236-4250 for adoptions; and (619) 236-5500 for noise abatement.
·       Unsafe street conditions.  Call City Street Division at (619) 527-7500 to report potholes, cracks, and other problems with street surfaces, sidewalks, and curbs; missing, damaged, or obscured signs; inoperative street lights and traffic signals.
·       Hazardous debris on streets.  Call the City Environmental Services Department at (858) 694-7000.  Call the California Highway Patrol at (858) 637-3800 to report small objects on freeways that are unlikely to cause an accident or injure a motorist.  Call 911 if the objects could endanger motorists.
·       Needs for new street safety measures.  Call City Transportation Engineering at (619) 533-3126 to suggest new crosswalks, curb markings, traffic signals, signs, speed bumps, additional street lights, obstruction removal, etc.
·       Street trees that need trimming.  Call City Street Division at (619) 527-7500.
·       City Code violations.   Call the City Neighborhood Code Compliance Department's Citizen Complaint Intake Line at (619) 236-5500 regarding violations of the City's housing, building, sign, zoning, vehicle parking, weed abatement, and other codes.
·       Abandoned shopping carts.  If the cart has a phone number on it for retrieval purposes, call that number and report the location of the cart.  If the cart does not have a phone number on it call the City Environmental Services Code Enforcement Section at (858) 694-7000 to report its location.
·       Child abuse.  Call the County Social Services Department's Child Protective Services Child Abuse Hotline at (858) 560-2191 regarding suspected abuse or risk of abuse.  Call the SDPD at (619) 531-2000 if you know that abuse has occurred.  Call 911 if the abuse is in progress you should call 911.
·       Elder and dependent adult abuse.  Call San Diego County Aging & Independence Services at (800) 510-2020 to report suspected instances of neglect and psychological, physical, financial, or sexual abuse of elders and dependent adults.  Call the SDPD at (619) 531-2000 if you know that abuse has occurred.  Call 911 if the abuse is in progress you should call 911.
·       Lost person with Alzheimer's Disease.  After calling 911 to report a lost or found person, call the Alzheimer's Association's MedicAlert+Safe Return Program 24-hour Hotline at (800) 625-3780.  To enroll a person in MedicAlert and obtain identification for the person to wear you can call (800) 432-5378.

·    Alcohol and drug abuse.  Call the County Health and Human Services Agency’s Behavioral Health Services toll-free hotline at (800) 479-3339 to get a list of organizations in their area that have treatment programs.  Another source of information is The Resource Center of the State of California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs.  It can be reached at (800) 879-2772.
·    Domestic Violence.  Call the San Diego County 24/7 Domestic Violence Hotline at (888) 385-4657 for crisis counseling, safety planning, referrals to various service agencies, and information on shelter bed availability, restraining orders and other legal aid, etc.  Persons with existing domestic violence problems or cases should call the San Diego Family Justice Center’s Domestic Violence Info Line at (619) 533-6000 for assistance.
·    Mental health problems.  Call the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency’s Behavioral Health Services’ toll-free hotline line at (800) 479-3339.  Professional counselors are available 24/7 to help callers through their crises and refer them to appropriate services.  Available in Spanish and other languages.
·    Other problems.  Call 211, the new 24/7 national dialing code for information and referrals about community, health, and disaster services.  Information is available on addictions, child care, clothing, counseling, domestic violence, employment, food, housing, legal assistance, parenting, senior services, sexual assault, shelters, youth and teen services, and many other topics.  Or call the State Bar at (888) 875-5297 to order copies of its consumer education pamphlets that answer frequently asked questions involving the law.
·    Legal assistance for seniors.  Call the Senior Citizens Legal Services Program of Elder Law and Advocacy at (858) 565-1392 for an appointment for free counseling.
·    Conflict resolution.  Call the San Diego Restorative Justice Mediation Program at (619) 280-1993 for help in negotiating restitution and resolving conflicts between victims and offenders arising from property crimes like theft, vandalism, burglary, and trespass, as well as conflicts between family members.  Or call the National Conflict Resolution Center at (619) 238-2400 for help in resolving civil disputes involving neighbors, landlords, tenants, family members, businesses, etc.
·    Crime victim/witness assistance.  Call the San Diego County District Attorney’s Victim/Witness Assistance Program at (619) 531-4041 for help in getting emergency funds, applying for compensation by the State, and referrals to other agencies that provide assistance.
·    City services.  Recorded answers to the most frequently asked questions about City services and programs can now be obtained by calling the City's JUST CALL automated information system 24/7 at (619) 615-6111.  General information can still be obtained by calling the City Information Center at (619) 236-5555.

·    Classes in child development, family relations, etc.  Call the San Diego Community College at (619) 388-4950 for information on free continuing education classes.
·    Children in the Law.  Call the State Bar at (888) 875-5297 for a copy of Kids and the Law: An A-to-Z Guide for Parents.  It answers many legal questions parent may have concerning their children.
·    KIDZWATCH Academy.  Call the STAR/PAL Office at (619) 531-2721 further information about this is eight-week program for children 5 to 11 years old.
·    Preventing juvenile delinquency.  Call the U.S. Justice Department’s Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention at (800) 638-8736 for information about various actions parents can take to prevent juvenile delinquency, violence, and victimization.
·    Gangs.  Call the SDPD Central Division at (619) 744-9500 and ask to talk to a Juvenile Service Team Officer about what to do if you see signs that your child is becoming involved with gangs.
·    Alcohol.  Call San Diego Youth Services at (619) 325-4696 for information and help if you think your child has or may be developing an alcohol problem.
·    Graffiti vandalism.   Call the Graffiti Control Hotline at (619) 525-8522 for information and organizations to call for assistance if you think that your child might be involved with graffiti.
·    Unsafe Driving.  Call the SDPD Traffic Division's CRO (858) 495-7822 for info on driving and traffic safety.
·    Gun Violence.  Call the SDPD Pistol Range at (619) 527-6070 for information about gun safety.
·    Shoplifting.   Call the Corrective Behavior Institute at (619) 528-9001 if you see signs that your child might be shoplifting, e.g., wearing new clothes or jewelry that you know he or she does not have money to buy.

The Community Relations Officer (CRO) for the SDPD Western Division is Officer David Surwilo.  Officer Surwilo can be reached by calling (619) 531-1540.

The Neighborhood Prosecutor for the SDPD Western Division is Deputy City Attoney Paige Hazard.  DCA Hazard prosecutes quality-of-life crimes including trespassing, vandalism, graffiti, drug activity, prostitution, illegal lodging, loitering with the specific intent to commit drug activity or prostitution, and disturbing the peace.  DCA Hazard can be reached at (619) 533-5844 regarding these activities.

CRIME PREVENTION INFORMATION                                                                                   
·       Tips on preventing crime.  Call the SDPD Neighborhood Policing Resource Team at (858) 523-7049 for copies of the latest papers on home security, vehicle security, personal safety and security, preventing fraud and identity theft, etc.  Or go to Prevention Tips the Crime Prevention and Education section of the SDPD’s website at
·       Speakers for community meetings.  Call the SDPD Speakers Bureau at (619) 446-1018 to request talks on topics such as auto theft, burglary, domestic violence, gangs, graffiti vandalism, narcotics, personal safety, robbery, sexual assault, and traffic.

·       Neighborhood cleanups.  Call I Love a Clean San Diego (ILCSD) at (619) 291-0103 for help planning, organizing, and carrying out cleanups.  It will provide trash bags, dumpsters, publicity, and some volunteer helpers, as well as speakers and informational material on ways to protect the environment.  Call it at (800) 237-2583 regarding recycling.
·       Special trash pickups.  Call the City’s Solid Waste Enforcement Unit at (858) 492-5055 to find out when special pickups are planned in your neighborhood.
·       Inoperable Vehicles.  Several non-profit, social-service organizations will remove an inoperable vehicle you own from your property at no cost.  One is Rady Children’s Hospital.  Call its donation line at (800) 544-5136 to arrange for a vehicle pickup.
·       Graffiti removal.  Call Project CLEAN at (619) 563-4014 for assistance regarding strategies and tactics for graffiti removal, paint selection, etc.

The SDPD has several programs in which community member can work (without compensation) alongside SDPD officers.  You can get information about them by calling the numbers below.

·     Volunteers in Policing (VIP).  These volunteers participate in various clerical, administrative, technical, and professional activities.  Call (619) 446-1013.
·     Retired Senior Volunteer Patrol (RSVP).  These volunteers drive specially-marked police vehicles patrol neighborhoods, check homes of vacationing residents, visit homebound and isolated persons, conduct safety talks for school children and senior groups, issue citations for illegal parking in spaces for disabled persons, etc.  Call (619) 446-1016.
·     Crisis Intervention Team.  These volunteers receive special training in crisis response techniques and respond to crisis incidents to assist persons who have been traumatized by a crime or other critical event.  Call (619) 446-1014.
·     Cadets.  This program is open to youths 16 to 20 years old who are interested in a career in law enforcement.  They on special details, e.g., traffic control at parades, ride along with patrol officers as observers, and assist officers in some non-enforcement tasks.  Call (619) 531-2934.
·     Interns.  This program provides qualified students with practical working experience that complements their academic course work as well as course credit.  Interns work in Crime Analysis, Juvenile Administration, Crime Laboratory, and other units.  Call (619) 531-2126.
·     STAR/PAL.  Call (619) 531-2718 about volunteering in these youth programs.

No comments: