Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Beautiful Possibility Tour

Who am I?

I come from a long line of wanderers, people uprooted and left searching for an identity -- 17th century Huguenots and 18th century indentured servants, westbound pioneers and Choctaw Indians. I am all and none of these things: an American amalgam of conflicting cultures set in restless motion 350 years ago. In 2006, I resolved to set out in search of the lost histories that clarify not only who I am, but who we are as Americans. I traveled cross-country for eight months Looking for Lost America, a research project of the Roadside Show & Tell, a trip that laid the foundation for Beautiful Possibility, my current traveling project. This solo journey takes the nomadic experience of itinerant explorers and traders and the traveling culture of Medicine and Wild West Shows as inspiration for engaging others about what it means to be American.
 “Before we find a cure, we must know what ails us.”
My work posits that the root of our ailments as Americans can be found in the identities we left behind. Beautiful Possibility imagines an America unashamed to look at our past and the cultural devastation of a Eurocentric Manifest Destiny, and to imagine the multi-cultural potential that lies within us for creating a more perfect union within ourselves, as a nation and for the world.

READ MORE HERE.....

No comments: